Sunday 6 November 2011

"In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield."


Isn't this one of the most incredible scenes ever made? I mean it's devastating, but then you think about how it was made, with a one million dollar set and a thousand extras and piecing together it part by part, but all in one shot... and you just feel so inspired and amazed.

I have been contemplating making a 100 favourite movies list, and I am pretty sure Atonement will be there. The whole film is full of gorgeous images, and this one scene certainly does help its rank.

2 comments:

  1. Technically, it's an absolutely fantastic feat of filmmaking. However, it kind of stopped the movie dead in its track as if the director just wanted to say: "look at me, I did a really awesome scene that doesn't fit the movie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it fitted very well actually. I had read the book before watching the film, and the whole part of Robbie going to war was very long and tedious in the book...I actually skipped parts. Instead Wright decided to show it in this one scene, the whole pointlessness of war as Robbie sees it. And that's the whole thing about adaptations, isn't it? He showed the feeling and made an absolutely gorgeous piece of filmmaking at the same time. I say good job, sir.
    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete