Friday 21 December 2012

Happy Third Birthday to Being Norma Jeane!


Yaaay!

       When I started this blog three years ago today, I had no idea what I was doing. It wasn't a film blog, because I didn't know what a film blog was. My first post was about bridges or horizons or something like that, because you know, I was so deep and all. 

  • It was not until about a year later that I stumbled upon film blogs, one of my firsts being Stevee's wonderful Cinematic Paradox. Her age and taste in films never fails to amaze me. 
  • Ruth of Let's be splendid about this was another of me earliest blogging friends and followers.
  •  Then I joined the LAMB, and found myself in this fantastic world of filmlovers, people like me but much, much more knowledgeable.
  • When I think of the term 'film blogger', the first name that pops into my head is Ryan McNeil's. His site The Matinee has practically become a daily staple.
  • Anna's blog Defiant Success is my go-to site for classic films and she is my go-to person for lengthy Twitter discussions on attractive British actors.
  • Sati's site Cinematic Corner is awe-inducing with its gorgeous look and graphics, and her specially wry kind of writing is a lot of fun.
  • Aziza is one of the sweetest bloggers I know and her blog Aziza's Picks is growing so fast, it's great!
  • I honestly think Mette, who runs Lime Reviews and Strawberry Explosion, is kind of like Yoda- she is full of wisdom and poetic words, and also she loves Fight Club!
  • I get all my film and trailer news from Castor's site Anomalous Material.
  • Alex, who runs And So It Begins, is kind of an inspiration because he has watched every movie that I have heard of, and he makes movies! Plus, I love his In Character thingies.
  • Tyler of Southern Vision has watched every movie that I haven't heard of, and his is my go-to site for foreign films.
  • Josh's site The Cinematic Spectacle is really brilliant because he looks at the best in films, whether it is screenplay or cinematography, decade-wise and it is very informative.
  • SDG, or Shantanu, is a fellow-Indian blogger and his blog, U, Me and Films is quite excellent.
  • This may sound a bit self-centered, but my favourite commenter is Thaddeus. His blog Net-flixation is especially fun because of his weekly questions and all the odd-stuff he finds around the net.
  • Andy Buckle is one of the most prolific bloggers out there and his blog, The Film Emporium is superb.
  • Cherokee's blog Can You Dig It? is very hip and I love to read her thoughts on "the good, the bad, and the hilarious crap in between".
  •  M. Hufstader's The Smoking Pen is the badass-est blog around. Love her love for Quentin Tarantino!
  • Andrew has one of the best-written blogs that I have come across, Encore's World of Film and TV and it is always a joy to read it.
  • Squasher is a blogger I have started following recently and his blog Film Actually is really good.
  • Steve's task to finish the 1001 must-see films, as documented in his blog 1001Plus, just motivates me to watch more films, from everywhere and every era.
  • Sam's Duke and the Movies is one of my favourite blogs, especially for the Director vs Director and Name that Movie features. It will be closing down soon, but a new and hopefully even better Movie Mezzanine will come in its place.
  • Nick is however saying goodbye to blogging, and his fantasticly named Randon Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob will be missed. The hilarious Demented podcast will continue though, so that's a relief.
  • Finally Lesya, who though doesn't run her blog anymore, is still one of my favourite film-lovers (her guest post).

     I would just like to thank all of these incredible cinephiles, and all the others who I follow or follow me or talk to me on Twitter. I learn so much from all of you.


      To bring this post to a close, I give you my updated favourite 100-ish films. I hope to continue blogging as long as I can, and that is mostly due to the film blogging community and of course, the magic of films.

36 comments:

  1. Happy blogiversary, Nikhat! Three years strong, three years long.

    I've continually enjoyed your posts on Being Norma Jeane - funny, pleasant and very well written. Keep rockin' and rollin' and doing a bitchin' job!

    And thanks so much for the kind words and the link, glad you dig the In Character thingies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex! Bitchin' is the word :)

      Delete
  2. Using your blog's third birthday to throw the spotlight on your favourite bloggers is a really nice touch.

    Good luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. My favourite bloggers keep me going strong, I guess :)

      Delete
  3. Yay, happy blog birthday! Here's to many more years.

    (And yes, I do love our Twiiter conversations.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our Twitter convos are brilliance.

      Delete
  4. Many many happy returns, and many thanks for the kind words. Seeing what you come up with day in and day out keeps me hungry, so keep the good things coming.

    We'll have to honour three fine years of blogging with a Matineecast appearance in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ryan :)

      Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  5. Happy blog birthday! I wish the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogiversary! 3 years is very impressive! I hope you will keep posting for a long time, I love your blog, especially your weekly "Thoughts" :)

    Thank you so much for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Those are just ramblings, I'm glad people like them :P

      Delete
  7. Happy blog birthday! Keep up the good work.

    Thanks so much for the link and the kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blog birthday. Your blog rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday pretty. Me dig ya blog soo much. Me dig ya too. more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Being Norma Jeane !! Indians FTW !! WooHoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many happy returns, Nikhat! It has always been a pleasure to read and comment on your blog. Your hard work, thoroughness, and thoughtfulness have always been the easiest ways to explain the appeal of your blog to my friends. You clearly love movies and you talk about them as both a smart observer and an emotionally-committed fan.

    I look forward to plenty more reviews, reactions, and insanely-long lists of the pictures you've managed to see in one month's time.

    I'm not going to pour out some of drink (Foster's Premium Ale, tonight) for you; instead, I will drink on your behalf, and pretend that we're both chilling out in NYC and are about to start a mini-marathon of the deliciously-demented, sick early movies of Peter Jackson. Let's start with Bad Taste, then move on to Meet the Feebles and Brain Dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, this is why you are my favourite commenter :)

      Some day soon, I will embark on this marathon, I promise you.

      Delete
  12. Happy Anniversary! In the blogging world, I think 3 years could probably be considered semi-veteran, so congrats! Here's to many more years, thanks for your weekly thoughts... my one-stop center for news and links.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary, sweet Nikhat, and congrats on everything, you deserve it. Thanks for the mention, you are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Diana! You are lovely too :)

      Delete
  14. Happy Anniversary Nikhat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yaaay, happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy blogging anniversary, Nikhat! May the many years continue!

    (Thanks for the lovely mention, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy third anniversary! Keep up the great work Nikhat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy, happy, happy birthday from the 17-year old blogging Yoda :D.
    This is such a sweet and nice way of honouring the blogging world, and I think we're all happy to have you around. Keep it goin'! (And I can only tell you this again; I love your sidebar pictures).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, 17 year old Yoda!
      Glad to be around :)

      Delete
  19. Happy anniversary. It's so easy to get burnt out and quit, glad to see you're still going.

    (And your mention is much too kind, thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh goodness, why did I not comment on this! I'm so sorry! I think I remember seeing it, but it looks like that was around the time Grandma passed, so that's probably why I missed it.

    Anyway, happy blogaversary! I'm so proud of you for making it this far! I'm glad I could have been of help, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine! You're too sweet.
      Thank you so much :)

      Delete