Tuesday 1 January 2013

Hellooo 2013!


       Happy New Year folkses. And with this new year, we have a whole slew of films that need to be seen. 2013 seems pretty awesome all in all. I am going to dub it "The Year of the Cumberbatch".

These are some of the films I really want to see in 2013- Prisoners, The Place Beyond the Pines, Gangster Squad, Pain and Gain, Man of Steel, The Double, To the Wonder, The F Word, Horns, The Butler, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Matru ki Bijlee ka Mandola, The Dallas Buyer's Club, Diana, Nightingale, The Railway Man, Lovelace, This is the End, White Bird in a Blizzard, Oz: The Great and Powerful, Warm Bodies, I'm So Excited, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, Elysium, Pacific Rim, Now You See Me, Oldboy, Jack Ryan, Blood Ties, Monsters University, Admission, 42, Movie 43, Kick Ass 2, 300: Rise of an Empire, Thor: The Dark World, The Wolverine, The Lone Ranger, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, World War Z, Nymphomaniac, The Zero Theorem, The Young and Prodigious Spivet, Venus in Fur, Frances Ha, Frank, Trance.



And my 25 most-anticipated films of 2013 are-
25) Iron Man 3

The Avengers is still my favourite film of last year, and RDJesus as Iron Man was a big reason for that. In spite of the slightly disastrous Iron Man 2, I am really looking forward to this movie. Yes, it looks like it is going down the "dark, tortured superhero" path (thanks Batman), but I am sure it will be very funny too.


24) August: Osage County

I have heard great things about the play and the cast is to die for. Plus, Ewan McGregor and Benedict Cumberbatch in one film- Hey!


23) Don Juan's Addiction

Seeing how good Argo was, I have a new-found respect for actors-turned-directors. And I adore JGL as it is. 


22) Untitled Woody Allen film

It is a normal thing to go gaga over the cast of a Woody Allen film. But I am especially psyched about Cate Blanchett headlining this. Also I think it will be a drama, which just increases my excitement.


21) The Wolf of Wall Street

Leo is back with Martin Scorsese in this. Though more than anything, I am excited about the Matthew McConaughey role, since that man has made me a fan post-2012.


20) The Counselor

The first of the Pitt-Fassy collaborations of the year. It is written by Cormac McCarthy and being directed by Ridley Scott, so good stuff all around.


19) The Monuments Men

This film has one helluva cast and I usually like George Clooney's directorial features a lot. Very intriguing plot too.


18) Her

I have really liked/loved everything that Spike Jonze has made, and this sounds very endearing. A man who falls in love with a computer reminds me of Jonze's lovely short, I'm Here. Can't wait.


17) The Great Gatsby 

Originally slated to come out in 2012, this adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic will at least be very interesting, and very stunning to look at. Still not sure about the 3D though.


16) Side Effects

Steven Soderbergh's last theatrical feature. 'Nuff said.


15) Fading Gigolo

John Turturro's directorial debut starring Woody Allen. It can go eitherway, but I have an inkling that it will be excellent.


14) Labor Day

Jason Reitman is one of my most favourite directors and I love all his films. This one stars Kate Winslet. WANT!


13) Untitled Terrence Malick film

It has Ryan Gosling and Michael Fassbender sharing the same screenspace (hopefully! Control your editing tendencies, Malick!) and this is MY list. Plus it will be pretty. (Only the shallow know themselves etc.)


12) Kill Your Darlings 

I love a cast of young actors and this film has some of the best around- Daniel Radcliffe, Dane DeHaan, Elizabeth Olsen, Jack Huston. Plus the Beat movement is always fascinating.


11) Anchorman : The Legend Continues

Because I love lamp.


10) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

This one will have Benedict Cumberbatch's voice and Lee Pace being a pretty elf. And of course, my fake husband (well, one of them) Martin Freeman. Yaay! And definitely going to watch this one in 24 FPS.


9) Much Ado About Nothing

No, I am not much of a Shakespeare fan. But after 2012, I am definitely a Joss Whedon fan. And he made this film randomly while on a holiday, in twelve days. And it's in black and white.


8) Twelve Years a Slave

This film has one of the best casts EVER. The second Pitt-Fassy collaboration of the year, with Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Quvenzhané Wallis, Adepero Oduye, Sarah Paulson and so on. Of course, the star of the show would be one of today's most daring and capable directors, Steve McQueen.


7) Gravity

Another film that was supposed to come out in 2012. Love Alfonso Cuarón and apparently the visuals of this film will blow our minds.


6) The Bling Ring

Sofia Coppola is one of my most favourite filmmakers, and in this film she will show a group of high-life loving robbers. Plus, Emma Watson was born to be in a Sofia Coppola film.


5) Only God Forgives

Drive ranks high in my top 100 films of all time and the Gos and the Refn are back again! All the beaten-up Gosling photos are so hot, it's killing me.


4) Stoker

Fucked-up family films are literally the best. And this looks batshit crazy. Gorgeous cast and please let this be Matthew Goode's big role.


3) Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek is still one of my best cinematic experiences. I had so much fun in that film that when the sequel was confirmed, I was going crazy with excitement. Then they announced that Benedict Cumberbatch will play the probable villain...


2) Before Midnight

The sequel everyone wants and doesn't want. How does one improve on perfection, except that that actually happened the last time around. If this is done well, this might be the last part of one of the greatest film trilogies ever made, and with my second-favourite onscreen couple.


1) The World's End

Speaking of greatest film trilogies and favourite onscreen pairs, THIS FILM IS IT! I have been waiting for this film ever since I heard that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are a part of the Three Favours Cornetto trilogy. Every announcement of this film has had me screaming like a fangirl. Added to the dynamic duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (BEST ONSCREEN COUPLE EVER), my husband Martin Freeman is there too. I have no doubt that I will love this film. We just have to see how much.


Here's to an ab fab film year :)

25 comments:

  1. Judging by this list, you're gonna be having a good year of seeing movies with good-looking actors. (And honey, I don't blame you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Love that we have 5 of the same films in our top 10.

    Can't believe I forgot about Woody Allen's and Terrence Malick's new films, Her, Kill Your Darlings, Nymphomaniac, and The F Word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha great minds!

      It's okay. They will hopefully be great.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, 2013 is going to be FANTASTIC. Gosling is still pretty much everywhere too, uh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2013 is shaping out to be really terrific year in movies. I'm looking forward to the Wolf of Wall Street, especially. The Counsellor looks pretty intense too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Those two should be good.

      Delete
  5. That's a good slate of films but don't go see Pain and Gain... it's Michael Bay, he's evil!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Haha it looks like harmless fun, tbh.

      Delete
  6. Oh man, totally forgot about The World's End - can't wait can't wait!!!
    Much Ado About Nothing is an awesome play (I've only read about three Shakespeare plays, and I like it better than Romeo and Juliet) so I'm really keen to see what Joss Whedon does with it!
    Star Trek *takes a deep breath* eeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be THE BEST!

      I shall read it before the film releases.

      EEEEEE!!

      Delete
  7. Oooooh, I can't wait for the 2013 movies season to start (ahem, after catching up on 2012 because no 2013 movies will be coming to Germany before spring after all).
    Love your list, and by the way, how come everyone's so up-to-date on 2013 upcoming releases? Is there a secret source of wisdom I haven't discovered yet ;) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have loads of 2012 releases left to watch too.

      Haha, it's this new invention called Google :P

      Delete
    2. Oh that thing... yeah, I heard about it but aren't they collecting information about you through that? I'm not sure whether I should try it.

      Delete
  8. Man, 2013 is gonna be another great year at the movies! Man of Steel will top my list, but also YES to that Untitled Woody Allen flick (because of Cate Blanchett) and The Monuments Men (also starring miss Blanchett, yay!). That last one w/ Pegg/Frost is gonna be a hoot! LOVE Shaun and Hot Fuzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will! I love Cate Blanchett as well. She actually begged to be part of Hot Fuzz, so even more respect.

      Delete
  9. I'm so in love with this post I can't even say - so many of my favorite actors I didn't know were starring together. Thanks for pointing these out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  11. Happy new year!!! I wish the best!!! Great movies!!! I can't wait!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think 2013 is going to be much better than 2012. I am excited about 12 years a slave, Stoker, The Great Gatsby, Before Midnight and more. Posting my list today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might just be. Your list was cool :)

      Delete